Thursday, February 15, 2018

A poem with no e’s—Emma Hummel

Procrastination
By *mma Humm*l

Starting off, I thought it was obvious,
Straightforward, basic, child’s play.
I could do almost anything. 
So I put it off a day,
Which turned into two, 
Which turned into six,
And now my last day is almost up
I sigh as I look out a window in my car
So much fog and humidity—NO—
No distractions. 
I must finish this blog post. 
Ugh. I’m worn out. 
A snack and a drink would assist with this. And possibly a short nap...
You know what?
I’ll just do it tomorrow. 
Good night. 



Writing a poem without having the letter e in it turned out to be a lot harder than I expected. In the beginning, I had a plan for what I wanted to do. Unfortunately, by the time I began writing the poem, I had forgotten what that idea had been. From that, I got the idea of writing about doing homework the day of the due date, which I do for a lot of homework. The really big problem I had with writing the poem would have been how I had to change the vocab and my word choice when they would have the letter e in them. One idea that I put a little time into, I had to delete when I became aware that it included the letter e. An outcome of me looking for a word that didn’t have an e involved me including a lot of vocab that I normally wouldn’t and looking up a word with an identical meaning, but without an e. Even tough it became harder than I expected when I picked the problem, it turned out to be a lot of fun. 

10 comments:

  1. I really like this poem. I'll admit I went word by word looking for e's but I couldn't find any and I was really impressed. I personally can barely think of a word that doesn't contain the letter e yet you just wrote a whole poem that not only flows well and sounds nice but doesn't contain that one vowel. Props you Emma, props to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, first, your poem is a big, fat, mood. It's also clever and fun. I like that it was lighthearted and relatable (I became a little distracted by the fog, too). Since it was such an easy read, I didn't explicitly look for the "e" in any words, which is good because I think you were trying to distract from the lack of the "e." Great job, Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem is very relatable! Using your procrastination to write your poem was very creative. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this poem! You chose a very relatable topic to write about and did that while writing without the letter e. Although you wrote the entire poem without an e, it still is easy to read and I wouldn't have noticed that there was no e used in the poem unless I was looking for it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone's said this already but this is really relatable. I enjoy the capital NO, and also the punctuation, because they add so much character to the poem. Also, I'm very impressed with your reflection without the letter 's'. You managed to include some very interesting insight while simultaneously making it sound normal and read easily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such a thoughtful blog post! I really enjoyed the theme you choose and thought that you were widely successful in capturing both humor and sincerity. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great poem and one that reflects a mood that everyone can relate to. Your voice is carefree yet clever, and your reflection shows the thought you put into the post. Good Work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having written a poem without the letter "e" as well, I can really appreciate this one. The flow was good, and more importantly, it was very relatable. When I reached the end, I had kinda forgotten the restriction imposed on the writing... that means you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed reading this poem! It's witty and concise. I can only imagine how hard it must have been to write it without using the letter 'e'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad this was fun, *mma! Your poem is clever and funny, and I like the way it's about procrastination as well as the no-E restraint.

    ReplyDelete